Finding ways to simplify your life can decrease your stress levels and increase your chances of success. Read on for a few tips to help you get started.
In this article:
- Focus on Goals and Priorities That Make You Happy
- Practice Intentional Living and Minimalism
- Declutter Your Mind and Master Your Thoughts
- Avoid Toxic People and Use Social Media Purposefully
- Have a To-Do List to Simplify Your Life
- Start a Morning Routine for Simple Living
- Don’t Forget to Make Time for Things You Enjoy
- Spend Time and Money on the Things That Matter the Most
- Get Rid of Ideas That Limit Your Mind
- Do Activities That’ll Help You Improve in More Than One Way
- Simplify Life by Learning Important Life Skills
- Have a Life Coach, Even If Your Life Coach Is Just a Blog
- Make All Hours of the Day Count
Simplify Your Life With These 13 Easy Ways
1. Focus on Goals and Priorities That Make You Happy
To simplify your life, you need to simplify your schedule. Focus on the things that bring happiness to your life.
For a week, take note of your activities. Determine how much time and energy you spend on things that don’t really make you happy.
If you can, remove these activities from your life. For external factors beyond your control, just try to find ways to minimize the stress they bring into your life.
For example, if bad traffic causes you anxiety because you might not arrive at your destination on time, try to leave earlier.
2. Practice Intentional Living and Minimalism
In intentional living, each decision and action you make must have a corresponding intention behind it. When people ask you why you think or act about something, you should be able to provide an answer.
Some examples include:
- Why did you choose your job?
- Why are you surrounded by the people you surround yourself with?
Intentional living helps you trim the fat from your life and just focus on the necessities. By cutting through the clutter, you can create a life you enjoy and are proud of.
This type of lifestyle goes hand-in-hand with minimalism, which focuses on intentionally having certain material things. To practice minimalism, you should be able to answer why you own something.
Figuring out your intentions for each action, decision, and possession can open your eyes to what you really need. More often than not, it’s actually less than what you already have.
3. Declutter Your Mind and Master Your Thoughts
You can become your own worst enemy if you don’t try to control your thoughts instead of them controlling you. To simplify your life, you must try to master your thoughts.
There are two mental modes that can affect your thoughts negatively. By acknowledging them, you can control the situation when they start affecting you negatively:
- The first is when you absorb everything like a sponge. This includes negative thoughts and emotions.
- The second mode is when you become an impenetrable wall where you don’t absorb anything to protect your own opinions.
Aside from acknowledging negative thoughts once they arise, here are other ways to control them:
- Practice meditation every day to silence your mind. You can start by allotting at least five minutes every day, then increase the time period each week.
- Cultivate positive thinking. Attract positive things to yourself and your surroundings by thinking positively of others and by being realistically optimistic.
4. Avoid Toxic People and Use Social Media Purposefully
A simple rule to find happiness in life is to avoid toxic people. This applies to both real life and online social interactions.
How do you know if someone is toxic? Here are a few red flags or signs to consider:
- They’re always focused on themselves.
- You’ll notice that other people usually prefer to keep them at arm’s length.
- All that you hear from them or complaints, problems, or gossip.
If there’s a need to talk to them, just try to avoid letting their toxic behavior get to you. If they’re starting to gossip, try to change the subject.
You can also mute or unfollow them on social media. You’ll save yourself the wasted time, emotions, and energy when you minimize their effect on your life.
5. Have a To-Do List to Simplify Your Life
Chaos can make anything complicated, while unpredictability can bring uncertainty and stress. If you feel your schedule controls you instead of the other way around, make a to-do list.
Create a to-do list that’s realistic and isn’t overwhelming for you. Focus on finishing the high-priority goals that cause you the most anxiety first.
Having a to-do list would also help you feel accomplished and productive. Nothing beats the feeling of ticking yet another item off your to-do list.
6. Start a Morning Routine for Simple Living
A great way to kickstart your journey to simple living is to start the day right. Having a morning routine can help you better transition from rest to being productive.
Here are some activities you can consider adding to your morning routine:
- A low-impact exercise like jogging or a light workout
- Meditation for mindfulness breathing
- Reviewing your schedule and to-do list
- Visualizing what you’ll do to make the day productive
7. Don’t Forget to Make Time for Things You Enjoy
You’re not a robot or a machine. If you don’t find time to do something you love, you might burn out, which will certainly make things more complicated.
Working on a passion or hobby for even just a few minutes or hours a day can do wonders for you.
8. Spend Time and Money on the Things That Matter the Most
What do you value the most?
- Is it your relationship with friends and family?
- Is it your career and your impact on society?
Look back and reflect on how often you spend time and money on things that matter. Life will be simpler when you focus on what is important.
9. Get Rid of Ideas That Limit Your Mind
Negative thinking often limits what your mind can conceive. If your mind is filled with negative thoughts, you won’t be able to see things objectively and without any biases.
To overcome negative thinking, you can try several things:
- Try to see things from a broader perspective. Instead of focusing on the negative event, try to see it from all angles so you can look past the negativity.
- Identifying and replacing negative sources. Determine which situations bring out negativity, then find a way to replace them or at least minimize the time you’re in them.
10. Do Activities That’ll Help You Improve in More Than One Way
Doing activities that can help you improve holistically is important and a time-saver. This saves you time and energy, which helps simplify your life in the long run.
Some examples include:
- Team sports, to train your body and how you interact with others
- Writing, which can improve creativity and communication skills
- Crafts, to train your coordination and focus.
11. Simplify Life by Learning Important Life Skills
What life skills should you learn? Examples include:
- Meal planning, for better nutrition and lower food costs
- Good spending and financial habits, to conserve and increase savings
- Making friends, or at least becoming a good conversationalist
- Time management
- Resilience and stress management, to avoid burnout
- Regular exercises, for better health
12. Have a Life Coach, Even If Your Life Coach Is Just a Blog
You can find inspiration in anything. It can be from a life-changing event or talk. Inspiration can also be taken from an online source, such as a blog.
Whatever you feed into your mind affects how you think and do in some way. By reading blogs from good role models or life coaches, you can improve yourself and simplify your life.
13. Make All Hours of the Day Count
Simplify your life by managing the hours of your day. While downtime and leisure can help, too much free time can lead to boredom and unproductivity, which can impact you negatively.
Again, this ties with intentional living. Do everything with purpose so you don’t waste time on unnecessary activities.
When you simplify your life, you can also make it more efficient. Follow these 13 hacks for a simpler life and soon, you’ll see your life becoming one percent better every day.
Do you have any questions on how to simplify your life effectively? What steps have you taken to make your life more meaningful as well as simple? Share your thoughts or leave your questions in the comments section down below.
- 11 Ways To Live A Better, Happier Life
- 3 Powerful Habits To Transform Your Life
- 7 Tips To Nurture The Entrepreneurial Spirit Within You