“Think big!” is one of the most popular battle cries among millions of people who want to live largely and who already are. Today’s article shares nine reasons why this should be your battle cry, too.
In this article:
- Thinking Big Can Motivate You to Reach For Your Dreams
- The Magic of Thinking Big: Wonderful Things Can Happen to You
- Having Grand Thoughts Can Give You an Exciting and Possibility-Filled Life
- Thinking Big Pushes You to Your Discomfort Zone
- Gives You More Energy
- Thinking Big Lets You Smash Outdated Conventional Wisdom
- Unleashes Your Creativity
- Helps You Overcome Obstacles
- Having Big Thoughts Helps You Discover Your Life Purpose
Think Big: 9 Good Reasons Why You Need to Do It
1. Thinking Big Can Motivate You to Reach For Your Dreams
“You don’t know what you can get away with until you try,” Colin Powell once said.
When you make it a habit to think and dream big, you become more open to doing great things. You’ll be brave enough to try and do them instead of letting fear, getting overwhelmed, and your circumstances keep you on the sidelines.
When you think big, you’ll have the guts to give your dream a shot, regardless of the possible outcome. The possibility of failure becomes a small price to pay for a shot at your dream.
Mustering the guts to go for your dream will automatically give you a 50-50 chance of succeeding, from the zero you’re starting with or might end up with if you don’t.
Unless you give your dream a shot, you’ll never know if you can or can’t accomplish it. And, the worst part about broken dreams is asking “what if.”
2. The Magic of Thinking Big: Wonderful Things Can Happen to You
If you think big, you put yourself in a position to experience wonderful things in life because you can only expect big things when your thinking’s big, too. If you think small, your expectations in life will be small, too.
When you expect small, you’ll most likely accomplish small things and limit the opportunities that come your way. Expecting great things in life can help you realize your full potential and the impossible may become possible.
3. Having Grand Thoughts Can Give You an Exciting and Possibility-Filled Life
When thinking big becomes natural to you, hope springs eternal. You have many beautiful things to look forward to and expect.
The grander your dreams and expectations, the more excited and positive you can feel about life. Setbacks won’t get you down as much and successes can fuel your excitement and hope even more.
When you learn to think big, you’ll be more excited to solve problems and less worried or anxious. This can motivate you to focus on solutions rather than problems, which can open more opportunities for you.
4. Thinking Big Pushes You to Your Discomfort Zone
If there’s one thing that the world’s most successful people have in common is this — they going into their discomfort zones. No person ever got so good at something without putting in the effort and frequently enduring discomfort.
Great success requires the ability to bear with a lot of discomforts.
People who come up with solutions to just about all kinds of problems didn’t have it easy. They had to go through a lot of discomfort in the past, which allowed them to develop their problem-solving skills.
- The world’s best salespeople had to overcome a lot of obstacles and got into the trenches for long periods of time to become very good at selling.
- The world’s greatest and highest-paid athletes put in lots of hard work practicing and honing their skills to be where they are today.
According to Tony Robbins, we all do the things we do because of two things only: love of pleasure and fear of pain.
Thinking big amplifies the pleasure of success, so it can push you to get out of your comfort zone and willingly take on things that are intimidating or an inconvenience. The greater the pleasure you feel about the possibility of succeeding, the lesser your fears affect you.
And when fears shrink, consistently entering the discomfort zone becomes much easier, which can increase your chances of succeeding.
5. Gives You More Energy
Think about this: how energetic do you feel when you’re excited, happy, and hopeful? Most likely, you feel a lot of energy flowing through your body, right?
Now, how about when you feel anxious, overwhelmed, sad, or hopeless – how energetic were you during those times? I bet your answer isn’t the same, right?
When you think big out of habit, you’ll feel excited, happy, hopeful, and encouraged on most days. You’ll see life as something to enjoy rather than a big drudgery, and you look forward to the future.
In other words, thinking big can give you much more energy to take life by the horns and shape your future. As you do, you can maximize your potential for living a successful and satisfying life.
6. Thinking Big Lets You Smash Outdated Conventional Wisdom
Another thing that separates the most successful people in the world from the rest of the human race is the ability to accomplish seemingly impossible things.
They do this by thinking big. Big thoughts allow people to see past limits imposed by conventional wisdom.
Challenging conventional thinking can help someone come up with solutions no one has ever thought before. When thinking is limited by conventional wisdom, people find it hard or impossible to solve existing problems and challenges.
Think about the following big thinkers who shattered conventional wisdom and ushered in new ages in their respective fields:
- Roger Bannister ran a sub-four-minute mile in 1954, when all “experts” declared running a mile in less than four minutes was “impossible.”
- Eliud Kipchoge recently ran a full marathon (26.2 miles or 42 kilometers) in under two hours, which many runners deemed impossible.
- Oprah Winfrey was born into a very poor African-American family and is now worth at least $3.0 billion, thanks to the media empire she built from scratch.
- Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook despite not having a degree. He forever changed the way people connected with each other and achieved a personal net worth of over $60 billion in the process.
7. Unleashes Your Creativity
Because thinking big helps you go beyond perceived limits and conventional wisdom, it unleashes your creative powers. And with great creativity comes awesome ideas that can help you succeed.
Remember, you can’t expect different results in your life if you continue doing the same things. That’s the textbook definition of insanity.
If you want to change the results you’re getting in life, you’ll need to expand your mind and be creative. This can push you to start seeing and doing things differently.
8. Helps You Overcome Obstacles
When you think big, you become progressively less scared of problems, challenges, and obstacles to your goals. This, in turn, can help you feel more energized and creative to focus on solutions to problems rather than problems.
Focusing on solutions, rather than the problems or their causes, helps maximize your chances of overcoming them.
9. Having Big Thoughts Helps You Discover Your Life Purpose
Finally, thinking big can help you find your “why,” if you haven’t yet. Big thoughts and dreams can give you a glimpse of your life’s mission or purpose.
If you want to live a wildly successful and highly satisfying life, you’ll need to find your “why” — your ultimate reason why you do things. And more importantly, you’ll have to live out that “why” because otherwise, you’ll just waste many years of your life.
If you want to live a big life, you’ll need to learn how to think big and take the right steps to realize your dreams. Remember, the size and quality of your thoughts will determine how big and how well you’ll live out your future, so start dreaming big now.
Do you have other ideas on the power of thinking big? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!